05 July 2006

Rain, Gravestones, and a Horse



Wednesday 7/5: Windsor Terrace, Kensington, Borough Park


Distance: 7.13 miles
Time: 1:00
Pace: 8:25
Temp: 75
Dewpoint: 72
Weather: muggy and light rain

Click on image for interactive Google Map

Route: Start at 8th Ave and 1st Street, over to 7th Ave then south to Windsor Place, east on Windsor Place to Prospect Park Southwest for a block then west on Seeley to McDonald. Left on McDonald for a block then over to 2nd St to Fort Hamilton Parkway. Down FHP to 44th St and then back up 12th Ave to Dahill and back to Caton Ave, then up E. 8th, Sherman, and Reeve to Prospect Ave and then over to 8th Ave. I ended at 8th Ave and 3rd St.

Notes: I was going to take a ride down toward the water (maybe Sheepshead Bay or Coney Island) this morning but with a light rain falling and heavier rain in the forecast I decided to stick close to home today. And while I covered some new ground in the corner of Borough Park just south of Greenwood Cemetery (small businesses along Fort Hamilton Parkway, more residential elsewhere), the most interesting thing I stumbled across today was Kensington Stables at the corner of E. 8th St. and Caton Place. That's where I met Teddy, a horse casually munching hay out on the sidewalk. I'm sure the presence of a working stable in Brooklyn isn't news to locals, but I have to admit it was a pleasant surprise for me.

Oh, and I'm not much into self-promotion, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the very nice piece Jotham Sederstrom wrote about me and my runs in the Daily News today. And Mr. Markowitz, if you're reading this, I'm ready any time you are!

It was more difficult taking pictures today in the rain, but I managed a few.


Tire place on Fort Hamilton Parkway


In a front yard in Borough Park


Teddy the horse



1 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you list the dewpoint? good run today. now go work on your dissertation.

btw, i think your profile is too short. you should put some extra juice in there. like, my younger sister has always been my inspiration....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home