09 July 2006

Twelve Miles, Seven Neighborhoods

Sunday 7/9: Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Borough Park, Kensington, Sunset Park, Gowanus, Park Slope

Distance: 12.04 miles
Time: 1:40
Pace: 8:18
Temp: 75
Dewpoint:
60
Weather: sunny



Unique Miles Today: 11.34
Total Unique Miles:
80.48
Percent of Brooklyn Run:
4.62

Route: I started heading south from 86th St. and 4th Ave, then over on 92nd St around the Dyker Beach golf course back up to 86th. Then I went west to 11th Ave, and then followed 11th up to 44th St, turning right and going on to Dahill. Then left on Dahill to Minna, left on Minna to 38th, left on 38th to 13th Ave, south to 43rd, then right to the intersection with Fort Hamilton Parkway. Across the street, I picked up 44th again and headed west to 3rd Ave, then north to 3rd Street, then right to 7th Ave.

Notes: I got to move through a lot of neighborhoods on today's long run, taking advantage of the relative lack of traffic at 8:00 on a Sunday morning. I started by taking the R train down to 86th St. (also my starting point on July 4), but took a pretty basic route back to Park Slope. I'll admit, though, that I deliberately ran the triangular detour through Borough Park and the Dahill section of Kensington mostly because I had erroneously drawn it on my big Brooklyn map a few days ago -- I figured if I didn't actually run it soon I'd forget about it and not know where I'd been and where I hadn't. As usual, there was plenty to see, though I was impressed by the hills leading up to Sunset Park (the actual park, from which the surrounding area takes its name). Maybe they should've called the neighborhood Sunset Heights or something. Anyway, the leg's continuing to get better, the weather certainly wasn't too bad for July, and the route was enjoyable. I'm still taking tomorrow off, though. Some pictures:


Along 11th Avenue in Dyker Heights


Porch in Kensington


44th Street, Sunset Park


On Dahill Road

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home