29 August 2006

Déjà Vu All Over Again

Tuesday 8/29: Gravesend, Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights

Distance:
9.27 miles
Time: 1:10
Pace: 7:33
Temp: 69
Dewpoint: 66
Weather: cloudy, showers

click on image for interactive map


Unique Miles Today: 8.52
Total Unique Miles:
323.04
Percent of Brooklyn Run:
18.54

Route: I started at McDonald and Avenue P, went south to Quentin, west to where it dead-ends at the subway tracks, around to the other side (via 7th and 8th), and on to 78th, west a block to Bay Parkway, south to 79th, and west all the way to 7th Avenue, then over the highway to Fort Hamilton Parkway, down a couple of blocks and then back over the highway on 82nd, north to 80th, and then back east on 80th to Bay Parkway. Then I went up a block to 79th, east to Stillwell, south to Highlawn, east to 3rd, north to Kings Highway, east to Van Sicklen, south to Avenue S (with a little side trip out and back on Lloyd), west back to 3rd, north to 65th, west to Bay Parkway, up a block to 64th, east to Dahill, south a block to 65th and then doubling back up to Avenue O. I finished by heading east to McDonald, south to Quentin, and east to E. 4th.

Notes: Today I revisited the same areas I was in on Sunday, for no particular reason other than to maintain my air of mystery and intrigue. Or maybe it was that, when planning my route early this morning, the radar map showed heavy rain a couple of hours away, and so, in my rush to get out the door, I just figured it would be easy to re-run the same neighborhoods (though on different streets, of course). That way I didn't have to figure out which subway to take or do any more elaborate preparation.

Whatever. I beat the rain, though not by much. In terms of where I was and what I saw, it was pretty typical of these neighborhoods, and was (not surprisingly) very similar to Sunday's run. Blah blah blah. Apparently I'm temporarily incapable of any additional insight at the moment, so I'll proceed directly to the photographic segment of today's program:


Yeshiva of Bensonhurst, on 79th Street


New Utrecht High School, off of 79th Street


I'm a sucker for opera-themed businesses (Stillwell Ave)


Obligatory urban decay shot (Bay Parkway)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home