The Road Less (Randomly) Traveled
Today, like most Mondays, is an off day for me. But given how much I enjoyed yesterday's long run from the Coney Island boardwalk to the Pulaski Bridge in Greenpoint, I've been thinking about other long runs with that would have a specific purpose (other than simply filling in streets on the map). Brooklyn offers any number of possibilities like this, and I've compiled the following short list of potential runs that fit the bill. I'd also like to solicit suggestions for others from you, the blog-reading public. If you have ideas, just drop me an email or leave a comment. I'm open to almost anything, as long as it's physically realistic (i.e. under 15 or so miles in length) and wouldn't require me to bring along a big map or anything while I run. Here's what I've come up with thus far:
1) Atlantic Avenue, from the border with Queens in East New York to its terminus at Brooklyn Bridge Park. As far as I can tell so far, Atlantic is the only street stretching continuously from one end of the borough to another. Approximate distance: 7+ miles.
2) The Queens/Brooklyn border. Last week I ran some of this boundary (between Bushwick and Ridgewood), but there's the stretch from Cypress Hills down through East New York, from Cypress Hills Cemetery to Old Mill Creek down near the Gateway Center Mall. Approximate distance: 7.5 miles
3) Following the elevated portions of various subway lines.
4) Traversing all three East River bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn. Approximate distance: at least 8 miles, depending on the route.
5) The length of Kings Highway, from its intersection with Eastern Parkway in Brownsville to where it meets up with Bay Parkway in Bensonhurst. Approximate distance: 6.7 miles
These are just the results of a few minutes of map-gazing. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know! Meanwhile, here are a couple more pictures from yesterday's run (the picture up top is from Lorimer Street in Williamsburg):
Coney Island Avenue, Sheepshead Bay
Memorial for cyclist Liz Byrne, who was killed last fall (corner of Kent and McGuinness in Greenpoint)