12 August 2006

Saturday New Shoes and Charity Running Edition

I got new shoes yesterday. For a runner this is often a really big deal, since many of us have developed oddly emotional and intense relationships with a particular make and model of shoes. Or maybe it's just me. Anyway, I've been wearing the New Balance 827 series for years (I think I began with the 829 and worked my way up through the 833 over the years). They're comfortable, very light, and reasonably priced, as far as these things go. Interestingly, the company has apparently decided to "reset" the model numbers back to 825, so that's what I got. Yeah, I know, they're not much to look at, but then again, when's the last time you saw a good-looking pair of running shoes?

In other news, I got an email this week from one Jeff Eckhaus. As most runners (and New Yorkers) know, the 2006 New York Marathon is coming up on November 5. I won't be running it, since I didn't know I was moving to Brooklyn until after registration was closed (hopefully, I'll get in next year). But Jeff is running, and moreover, has decided to use the race to try to raise $2500 for Team for Kids, the New York Road Runners charity which works to keep kids fit and fights childhood obesity. If you'd like to help Jeff reach his goal (or learn more), drop him an email at eckhaus@gmail.com.

Hope everyone's enjoying the terrific weather. Here are a couple of bonus pictures from the past week:


3 Train, Brownsville


Jamaica Avenue, Cypress Hills

3 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you aware of all the hoops you have to jump through to get into the NYC Marathon?

Unless you are already a member of the NYRRC you will not be able to get guaranteed entry into the 2007 race

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Yes, I'm quite aware. I also realize I may have had a better chance as an Iowa resident than as a New Yorker. But it can't hurt to try, right?

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,

Thanks for the post on the charity. If anyone would like to contribute directly you can click on the link below, and place this on your credit card and please make sure to place my last name (ECKHAUS) and my Marathon number 21711
https://www.nyrrc.org/cgi-bin/start.cgi/mar-programs/nyrrf/team/donations.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home