15 October 2006

The Horrible Truth About Endorphins

Sunday 10/15, Run #66: Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay

Distance: 11.87 miles
Time: 1:30
Pace: 7:35
Temp: 54
Dewpoint: 30
Weather: sunny

click on image for interactive map


Unique Miles Today: 8.45
Total Unique Miles: 524.40
Percent of Brooklyn Run: 30.10

Route: This is another complicated one. I started at Bouck Court and W. 3rd Street, then went west to Shell Road, south to the Belt Parkway overpass then doubling back to Shore Parkway, east to Ocean Parkway (including a jaunt up and back Colby and Bokee Courts), north to Murdoch Court and doubling back to Nixon Court, west to West Street, south to Shore then doubling back and continuing north to Avenue Z, west to W. 2nd, south back to Shore Parkway, west W. 3rd, north back to Avenue Z, west to Shell Road, north to Dank Court, east to W. 3rd, north to Cobeck Court, west to Shell, north to Avenue Y, east to W. 2nd, south to Avenue Z, east to W. 1st, north to Avenue X, west to Stryker Street, north to Village Road South (with out-and-backs on Stryker and Southgate Courts), east to W. 1st, south to Avenue X, east to West Street, south to Murdoch, east to Ocean Parkway, north to Avenue Z, west to E. 1st, north to Avenue X, west back to West Street, north to Gravesend Neck Road, east to E. 1st, south to Avenue X, east to E. 4th, north to Angela Court, east to Ocean Parkway, south to Avenue Z, east to Hubbard Street, north to Avenue X, west to Ocean Parkway, north to Crawford Court, east to Coney Island Avenue, north to Lancaster Court, west to Ocean Parkway again, south to Crawford Court then doubling back and continuing back north to Gravesend Neck Road, east to E. 12th and doubling back to E. 8th, north to Avenue V, west to E. 7th, south back to Gravesend Neck Road, west to Ocean Parkway, north to Avenue V, east to E. 7th, north to Kings Highway, east to E. 13th, north to Avenue P then doubling back to Quentin Avenue, west to E. 10th, north up to Avenue P then doubling back to Quentin, west to Ocean Parkway, south to Kings Highway, east to E. 7th then doubling back and continuing on to Avenue R, east back to Ocean Parkway, north to Kings Highway and then doubling back and continuing south to Avenue V, then west to E. 2nd, north to Avenue U, and west a block to E. 1st.

Notes: I know, some of these routes are becoming ridiculously complex, and today's is one of the worst offenders. Unfortunately, it's the only real way to pick up all the odd little pockets of streets that I've managed to miss so far, so I'll try not to complain too much (though the recordkeeping is getting to be a serious pain, and the little maps that I carry are so dense with information they're next to impossible to read). The good news is that I think I can have the southern third of the borough completely finished by the end of November if I keep plugging away at my current pace. Then it's back to nice, simple runs for a while, in the eastern and middle neighborhoods. Can't wait.

As for the run itself, the weather conditions were just about perfect, and the cool temperatures helped mitigate the length of today's route (I know, I said no more longer runs, but I really wanted to be done with this corner of Gravesend). Despite the nearly 12 miles I covered (my longest outing since September 10), I felt pretty good physically, which is something in which I can't help but see a bitter irony -- thanks to my body's production of endorphins (a physiological byproduct of vigorous exercise), about the only time my heels and parts of my legs aren't in pain is when I'm actually running (and no doubt exacerbating the underlying injury). Thus the title of today's post.

Despite sticking to mostly residential streets, there was a lot to see, all of it especially eye-catching in the brilliant sunshine and under an almost impossibly blue sky. I've included seven pictures today -- I figured that if I'm breaking all my other self-imposed rules I might as well break the one about the number of pictures. See you Tuesday.


Avenue Y and W. 3rd Street


You can tell they're professional by the sign (Avenue X)


Mural on W. 1st Street near Avenue X


E. 7th Street


Building on Kings Highway


Catering place, also on Kings Highway


Just off Avenue U

2 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Gary, I keep meaning to ask you, do you run on the sidewalks or the streets? There's really no reason to ask, just curious.

Those endorphins are killer, ain't they?

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I almost always run on the sidewalks, though I realize the asphalt on the street is probably marginally softer.

However, given the general lack of concern for pedestrians evinced by the majority of motorists I've seen, sacrificing a little wear and tear on my feet and joints in return for a reduced chance of death by SUV seems like a fair tradeoff...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home