14 November 2006

Doctor, My Thighs

Despite a regularly-scheduled break yesterday, I'm not running today, either. It seems that after dealing my quadriceps a devastating (if completely unintentional) one-two punch -- running too fast on Friday and too far on Sunday -- they've decided to essentially go on strike for a couple of days, refusing to function normally and making a big fuss about working conditions. And to be honest, running's just not the same without them. I've got no choice for now but to give in to their demands and let them rest up, at least for now. (The joke's on them, of course -- they'll be back to their usual grueling workload tomorrow. I already have the route mapped out!). But if you're wondering why you're reading this instead of a summary of my journey through some exciting neighborhood, well, now you know. But I'll be back tomorrow, I promise. Unless there's a pouring rain, of course. You know, my quads would just love that...

Since I'm here anyway, I'll take this opportunity to post a couple of recent pictures:

foam center, bay ridge
Talk about a niche market (Bay Ridge Avenue)

mosque, sunset park
Mosque on 6th Avenue

doors, bay ridge
Church doors on 67th Street

5 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your legs recover soon!
This purely selfish as I eat a vegan diet (as it looks like you might too based on your food links), but I have been wishing for one of your day-off posts to be on what you eat as a runner. i.e., "how much food does it take to run all of the streets in brooklyn" :-) Seriously, though, I think quite a few people might be interested -- I have sent a number of people info about what vegan ultramarathoner Scott Jurek eats because they were impressed that it was possible to be vegan and an athlete.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Thanks, Jen!
You know, a post on what I eat would be a great idea (the short answer, of course, is "a lot"). It is indeed hard at times to balance a vegan diet with running 35-45 miles/week, but I suppose I'm living proof it can be done (and then you have folks like Jurek, who are in another league altogether). Maybe I'll keep track of everything I eat for a week or something, though it may end up revealing that I consume way too many Ginger-O's and other vegan sweets alongside the tempeh and the bananas and the chana masala...

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't help but notice that the Brooklyn Foam Center seems to sell quite a few china oddments and other non-foam articles. Maybe the foam niche just wasn't big enough? Or it was too hard to come up with an eye-catching window display that was entirely foam-based?

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Apparently, the word on the street over the last year or two in the Brooklyn Foam District has been "diversification," since analysts have been predicting a debilitating foam glut for some time. And though the worst-case scenario has yet to materialize, I guess we're finally seeing a proactive response from the retail foam community.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw your story in the Newsletter, "Brooklyn", put out by Borough President Marty Markowitz's office and wanted to read your blog. It is a great blog and the photography is really wonderful. Did you run the Ditmas Park and Ditmas Park West neighborhoods? You won't want to miss the amazing Victorian streets. If you didn't do that area on the other side of Park Slope (south of the Slope)then you have to get those feet and legs soaked and massaged and do a little more. You will actually do more photography than running. I can't wait to see your pics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home