19 November 2006

Gray Day

Sunday 11/19, Run #85: Midwood, Borough Park

Distance: 9.19 miles
Time: 1:10
Pace: 7:36
Temp: 44
Dewpoint: 33
Weather: mostly cloudy

click on image for interactive map


Unique Miles Today: 7.95
Total Unique Miles: 666.22
Percent of Brooklyn Run: 38.24

For the complete route, click here

Notes: I ran today because I didn't know what else to do. Late last night I received the news that my younger sister Tara had died. She was 36 and a Navy veteran, having served in a medical unit in Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. She was also a kind and gentle person, who loved animals and drawing, and did her best to keep the lost art of letter-writing alive -- each year I could count on several cards and missives written in her unfailingly neat (though almost microscopic) handwriting. But she had also had been living with a debilitating mental illness for the last several years, and recently her condition seemed only to worsen. My parents and other siblings, as can be expected, are taking this pretty hard (especially my other sister Mel, who has been mentioned a few times in these posts over the months). I am not a religious person, but if there is indeed an afterlife, it's my hope that Tara is someplace where she has finally found the peace that she found so elusive here.

I apologize for the less-than-jovial tone today, and please forgive me if my posts over the next few days are short, perfunctory, or even nonexistent.

Pictures:

building, borough park
Apartment building on Bay Parkway

wall, borough park
59th Street

corner, borough park
The colorful corner of 65th Street and Bay Parkway

memorial, borough park
9/11 memorial at tiny Dahill Triangle (where 23rd Ave, Dahill Road, and 59th meet)

door, midwood
Just your typical Reformed/Lutheran/Russian/Korean church (Avenue P)

houses, midwood
Houses on E. 13th Street

8 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger Spike said...

Very sorry to hear about your sister. Got no idea what to say that won't sound trivial in the circumstances except best wishes to you and your family.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Ron Bloomquist said...

Stay the course, Gary.

It's sad but,

stay the course.

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family can find some peace in being together.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger princess kanomanom said...

I'm very sorry to read this, Gary. Thinking about you & yours.

"I ran today because I didn't know what else do to": I hear you. Plus, w/ running, you can at least be assured that it won't make you feel worse. Once in awhile, and at its best, it'll even make you feel a sliver better.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Renee said...

I am so sorry, Gary. So sorry.

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister. My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time. And we all understand if you do not feel like posting much for awhile. I hope the running helps you with the slow healing process.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear about your sister.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Thanks, everyone. It is very much appreciated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home