18 January 2007

And Remember, Always Back Up Your Files

Thursday 1/18, Run #111: Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill, Fort Greene, Prospect Heights

Distance: 9.25 miles
Time: 1:10
Pace: 7:34
Temp: 27
Wind Chill: 21
Weather: partly cloudy

click on image for interactive map

Unique Miles Today: 9.02
Total Unique Miles: 866.14
Percent of Brooklyn Run: 49.71

For the complete route, click here

Notes: It's official -- with the completion of today's run I only need 5.04 unique miles to make it to the halfway point. I hope to be able to dash it off tomorrow (or, if the weather is uncooperative, Satuday), and then I'm going to feel pretty good about things. At least for a little while. Eventually, I suppose, I'll have to hit the road again for Part Two, but I'm really looking forward to a little break before that. As for the run itself, it was fine in terms of seeing interesting things and not getting run over, but it was certainly the coldest morning I've been out there so far. I was in the area where Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy, and Prospect Heights come together, a region with a lot of people out and about, some attractive residential streets, and plenty of houses I'd never be able to afford. As you might suspect, I chose this destination today because of its proximity to the G train, meaning I didn't spend more than 10 or 15 minutes getting either to or from the run. And that was very nice, indeed.

On a less positive note, last night I inadvertently deleted the spreadsheet I'd been using to keep track of everything regarding my Brooklyn runs -- distances and times, of course, but also the weather, the URL of each individual route map, and weekly, monthly, and running totals of the various statistics. I guess that's why they always tell you to back up everything. It's true, of course, that most of this information is preserved right here on the blog and that I can probably recreate the thing nearly in its entirety by going through each of the 110 posts and copying the information into a new spreadsheet. But that's a lot of work. I think I need to hire an intern.

Finally, a quick note on my photos: I've finally organized the pictures from all my runs over at Flickr into eight sets that group the photos thematically. There's a substantial set, for instance, devoted to storefronts, as well as others featuring pictures related to residential buildings, transportation, and religion. Believe me, it's a lot easier to look at these groupings (each has between roughly 50 and 125 images) than it is to wade through all 600+ photos. You can take a look by either heading over to my Flickr page and then clicking on whichever set you want to see, or you can simply click on one of the links I've included here on the blog. They're over to the right, listed under the heading "Runs Brooklyn Photo Archive," and just beneath the "About this Blog" links. (For whatever reason it takes a few seconds for the pages to come up, so please be patient.)

Speaking of photos, here's today's installment:

building, prospect heights
Bergen Street

rocks, bed-stuy
Dean Street

church, bed-stuy
Prospect Place

paul robeson theater, fort greene
Paul Robeson Theater on Greene Avenue

building, park slope
Flatbush Avenue

mural, bed-stuy
Prospect Place

2 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, sorry to hear about the spreadsheet!

The Flickr groups are great. I especially love the animals group. I am starting to get a collection of animals from my walks, but not nearly as many as you!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Thanks, Jen. The spreadsheet thing sucks, but it's more of an inconvenience than a major catastrophe. I'll just copy the info from the posts a few at a time, whenever I've got a few minutes.

And thanks for looking at the pictures -- I just made the "animals" set a few minutes before you looked at it. I'm still a little surprised by the popularity of elephants here, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home