11 January 2007

Deep in the Heart of Brooklyn

Thursday 1/11, Run #107: Midwood

Distance: 8.66 miles
Time: 1:05
Pace: 7:30
Temp: 29
Wind Chill: 24
Weather: sunny & wintery!

click on image for interactive map


Unique Miles Today: 6.82
Total Unique Miles: 831.47
Percent of Brooklyn Run: 47.72

For the complete route, click here

Notes: Once again, I've completely ignored my own self-imposed dictates for planning my routes. I probably should be dutifully plugging away out in Cypress Hills or somewhere, but -- for no particular reason -- I decided to fill in a little section of Midwood that I'd been ignoring for a while. I don't know why I feel kind of guilty when I do stuff like this instead of sticking to whatever master plan I'm supposed to be following, but there it is. What I need to do is to keep reminding myself that it's my little endeavor here, and there aren't any real rules concerning the "right" or "wrong" way of running the whole borough that I need to follow. As long as I'm honest about where I've run and careful with the recordkeeping, these other things shouldn't matter, right? But they do anyway. Truth be told, I think I'm veering dangerously close to physical and mental burnout, though I'm going to hang in there until I reach the halfway point (about a week and a half from now, at this rate). Then I'll sit down and think things through and figure out how long of a break I'll need and what plans I need to make (as if I'd follow them!) for the second half.

The run itself was limited to a fairly compact residential swath of Midwood (an aptly-named neighborhood in the central part of the borough) just south of the Long Island Railroad freight train tracks and southwest of Brooklyn College. It's a pleasant area to run in (though it'd be much more so in the warmer weather, when the abundant shade trees actually have leaves on them), with the streetscape dominated by single-family detached houses on the numbered streets and substantial apartment buildings along some of the avenues, and much of it bearing the imprint of the mostly Orthodox Jewish population, especially along the east-west avenues (which boast a good number of Hebrew schools and synagogues) and some of the commerical areas.

Perhaps the biggest news is that, after a month or two of waiting, the weather actually felt kind of wintery out there today. The forecast calls for highs in the fifties by the weekend, though, so I'll try to enjoy it while I can. Despite being a bit worn out I'm going to run again tomorrow and keep pushing toward that fifty percent milestone. Only a few more runs...

Broken Angel update: According to the Times and several local blogs, the building will be saved -- by converting most of it to condos. An odd fate, perhaps, but probably not completely surprising, either. Read all about it at Brownstoner, Gowanus Lounge, and the Times.

Pictures from today's run:

yeshiva, midwood
Young Israel of Flatbush, a synagogue on Coney Island Avenue

the other nathan's, midwood
The other Nathan's (Avenue H)

cemetery, midwood
Washington Cemetery (as seen from E. 4th Street)

2 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture you have labeled as the Yeshivah of Flatbush (we spell Yeshivah with an "h" at the end) is really the Young Israel of Flatbush, a synagogue. The Yeshivah surrounds it on both sides, but is not pictured. Good luck on your run, and welcome to Brooklyn.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Hey, thanks. I'll fix that right up. I guess I saw the big "Yeshivah of Flatbush" sign right next door and just went with that. Regardless, it's a striking building.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home