19 January 2007

I'll Worry About the Other Half Later

Friday 1/19, Run #112: Greenpoint

Distance: 6.63 miles
Time: 0:50
Pace: 7:33
Temp: 34
Wind Chill: 26
Weather: sunny & windy

click on image for interactive map



Unique Miles Today: 5.88
Total Unique Miles: 872.02
Percent of Brooklyn Run: 50.05

For the complete route, click here

Notes: This morning I awoke just in time to watch the first snowfall of the season. And while it didn't amount to much (a barely measurable dusting which was just enough to make the streets and sidewalks a bit slippery) and the sun came out soon after, it was kind of reassuring to see the weather actually match up to the calendar, thus eliminating the cognitive dissonance I've been experiencing so far during much of this winter. As for the run itself, I kept things simple by choosing a route that kept me right here in Greenpoint, taking me through much of the northernmost third of the neighborhood (and which didn't require any time on the subway).

More to the point, though, today's run (finally!) brought me to the halfway point in all of this. I know, it's hard to believe, and I think the first order of business will be to take a little time off to rest up and bask in the pale glow of my semi-accomplishment. Sometime over the next few days, though, I'll post a more thorough assessment of the first 50 percent, including my thoughts on some of the high and low points, a statistical wrap-up of these 872 unique miles, and probably a few photos that I haven't yet posted. After that, I'll need to start thinking about how to approach the second half. For now, however, I'm going to take a hot shower, have some oatmeal, and maybe take a nap.

Pictures from this morning:

blocks, greenpoint
Manhattan Avenue

just packaging, greenpoint
Green Street

astral building, greenpoint
India Street

boat, greenpoint
Newtown Creek, from the foot of Manhattan Avenue

foundry, greenpoint
India Street

building, greenpoint
Franklin Street

7 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Gary! Nice to complete the milestone close to home too. You derserve some time off to stroll leisurely and rest up.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Congratulations! And you didn't have to run in today's windstorm, so it was like a double bonus.
Rest well.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Thanks! It's quite gratifying to be roughly halfway done -- but also very humbling since I still have 850+ miles to go... but like I said, I'll think about that later.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger BEEz said...

Dude, I hope your getting in some recording time in between the miles... We'll miss you when Ted Leo comes throug Iowa City in April.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Alas, recording's been taking a back seat to other projects lately. And while I'll be missing TL/Rx in April, I'm probably going to be in IC sometime over the next 4-6 weeks to take care of some school business. I could probably be talked into stopping by George's to play some cards, too...

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger BEEz said...

Sounds like fun... its been awhile since Matt has hosted a poker party. I bet he'll whip one up while your back. If not, then the front table at George's will work. See you then...

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous South Jordan Boilers said...

Grateful ffor sharing this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home