16 May 2007

On Buses and Baseball

Cities are noisy places, and no one who lives in a densely-populated urban area can honestly have much expectation of enjoying the kind of quiet environment found in a small town or suburban setting. Still, in the nine months I've lived in my current apartment, I've been continually surprised by just how loud things can get. We knew, of course, that by moving into a building facing a busy commercial district we'd encounter our share of street noise wafting up to the fifth floor. And considering the very modest rent we're paying for the sublet here, it was a tradeoff we willingly made.

There are two city bus routes that run right by our building, and the buses contribute significantly to the volume level around here. But until this morning, I never thought to check just how many buses we were hearing every day. It sure seemed like a lot, I thought, but was I just being overly sensitive to the noise? So out of curiosity, I spent a few minutes earlier today looking at the schedules for the B61 and B43 routes over at the MTA website, and counted the number of buses on the schedule that run by our place. And the numbers were pretty remarkable -- it turns out that a city bus passes directly in front of our apartment 434 times each weekday. Of this number, fully 374 pass by between the hours of 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM (since they run much less frequently at night) -- a rate of one every 2.5 minutes. That's a lot of buses. I guess it wasn't just me, after all.

On a completely unrelated note, Kate and I took the train up to see the Mets on Saturday and again on Monday. It'd been a while since I'd been to a game at Shea (at least since May 1994, as far as I'm able to tell), and we had a great time at both games (at the latter, we split scorekeeping duties -- I kept score for the home team, Kate for the Cubbies). I've always loved baseball, and I still get a kick out of going to a big league game.

That said, overall I prefer the more intimate setting (not to mention the cheaper tickets) that minor league ball offers. Now that I think about it, actually, I really miss seeing my Kernels up in Cedar Rapids. From 1997 through 2004 I had season tickets in the first row behind the home dugout, and probably went to 300 games. Maybe more. Over the years I got to see dozens of players who subsequently went on to enjoy significant success in the big leagues, including Albert Pujols, Adam Dunn, Miguel Cabrera, Jason Bay, Prince Fielder, and Joe Mauer. And those were just the visiting players. I have, of course, also been to games at Coney Island and Staten Island, both of which are great places to watch baseball. But since these teams play in a short-season league, opening day is still more than a month off. I guess I'll have to make do with the Mets for now (or head out to minor league games in Connecticut or Jersey). Anyway, I've included below a (crudely stitched-together) panorama of Shea Stadium, taken last Saturday from our seats in the last row of the upper deck.

And no, I haven't run lately. But I did complete a chapter draft this week, so that's something.

shea stadium 1

10 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not sure how many B61s are included in the 434 buses that pass by your apartment but for someone who rides the B61 regularly, I would estimate about..... 4

stupid B61

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Tom,

I know what you mean! I don't take the bus often from here, but the couple of times I have it took like 20 minutes to show up. Weird.

According to the official schedule on the MTA website, the B61 goes by my building up in Greenpoint 122 times a day in each direction, for a total of 244. The B43 makes 95 trips each way, for another 190 more and 434 total.

Judging solely by what I see out my window, though, it seems like they get bunched up a lot, so two or three will come within a 5 or 6 minute span and then it'll take 15 minutes for the next one to arrive.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Renee said...

A chapter! Well done!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Thanks, FR!

Of course, I still have five more to go...

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous san diego divorce attorneys said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Kid Rock Tickets said...

Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also... Big thanks for the useful info i found on Comentari de categoria nova.

.Kid Rock Tickets

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous apnasindh said...

i come first time this blog is very informative blog .. i like this article thanks for sharing it

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Kenny Chesney Tickets said...

Big thanks for the useful info i found on Comentari de categoria nova.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger lia Sophia said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my website, it is about the CHANEL BAGS charms discount online, I hope you enjoy.
The address is http://www.ourbagshop.org
A hug.

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Smart Home said...

The post is pretty interesting. I really never thought I could have a good read by this time until I found out this site. I am grateful for the information given. Thank you for being so generous enough to have shared your knowledge with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home